Its been a while

B&W Cement

It has been a stressful year and why I haven’t been updating the blog as much as I would of liked to. Hopefully that will change now and I’ll get back into posting regular updates.
This weekend I’m out with Tarring Neville at the Tolworth Showtrain. I have been working on a few new items of stock. A Hornby B2 Peckett has joined the fleet for the cement works. I removed the printed name plates, fitted dumb buffers, added tarps to the cab sides and weathered it. I have also finished a couple more of the RT Models wooden tipper wagons for internal use by the cement works.
20191107_150823 (1)

Lastly one item that has been sat waiting for me to finish it is a Roxey Mouldings LBSCR Stroudley Brake 3rd finished as a engineers tool/mess van. The idea came after reading that there used to be a grounded body of a Stoudley coach used as a mess van at Newhaven shed for a while. I have numbered mine as one of the examples that is preserved at the Bluebell railway  and as part of my fictional history decided it ended up at Tarring Neville for use in the cement works as an internal user van after being used locally by the SR engineering department. I have removed a couple of compartment partitions as seemed to happen when being taken in to engineers use.20191107_151413 (1)

 

It’s a sign

20181201_083833So before Manchester show a few weeks ago I wanted to get Tarring Neville’s sign finished. I was very lucky to have a good friend surprise me by making a sign for Herstmonceux and so it was decided that Tarring Neville would need one too.
The idea was to make something that looked like it had been mounted on a building but had been found years later looking a bit worse for wear. Fortunately we had just replaced the bargeboards on the house and I kept back a few bits of the old ones that had a lovely pre-weathered look. A rough size was worked out and I glued and pinned three bits together and added some edging. I then scored along the bottom edge and snapped it off to represent some damage.
20181107_152513

The lettering was pencilled on but changed my mind after this picture was taken and put YARD OFFICE instead of just office. Once the sign was paint I started to distress it with some sand paper a hammer and a knife. The newly distressed areas were given a wash of dirty brown/black paint to make it look slightly rotten and aged. Some mounting holes were drilled in it with one being opened up a bit more to look like it had been ripped off the wall.
20181111_143234

The last thing to be do was make a miniature one and mount it on a building on the layout.20181110_212223

Really enjoyed Manchester show again and was good to chat with so many people. Tarring Neville picked up an award for “Best scratch built model” for the partially demolished building by the loading dock. Was good to see Black Lion Crossing at last and had a good chat with Geoff Kent about his Conflat L’s which I’ve been looking to build a couple of.
20181202_092632

Merry Christmas to all the readers of the blog and best wishes for the New Year.

Tanked up..

A while back I found an old Mainline 12T BP tank wagon in one of my boxes of bits which I thought could do with a bit of an upgrade. The model dates back to the late 70’s which at the time was a pretty good model but by todays standards its pretty naff.. First to go was the chunky chassis to be replaced with a Cambrian models 10’0″ underframe kit (C105). This needed some headstocks adding and I fitted some Lanarkshire models cast buffers to these.
The tank itself isn’t too bad but I cut off the moulded ladder and walkways and replaced them using a  Rtmodels etched detailing kit for the Airfix B tank. The ladder needed shortening a little and the rest is easy enough to fit. Other details were added with bits of wire and microstrip. It was given a coat of black paint and some Cambridge custom transfers added. It might not be 100% accurate but its a lot better than it was.

The other tank is a SE Finecast A.P.O.C oil tank kit which needs finishing. This will be used as a internal user wagon for the cement works and Tarring Neville.

20180607_111956

20180607_112002

IMG-20180905-WA0000

 

Starting early?

In a month or so Herstmonceux will be at Railex so it’s time for me to start getting it ready. Now some of you might be thinking that it’s a bit early to start preparing for the show but Herstmonceux hasn’t been out since Exeter last July and could do with a bit of a freshen up. A few new trees need making and planting, some of the other vegetation could do with some work and the whole layout could do with a good clean.

I have also been working on some items of stock. The I3 has been on the list of needing fixing for a while. Turns out the motor mount had broken so this was fixed and some tidying up of the weathering. My Std 4mt 2-6-0 had had its motor and gearbox pinched when I built my last K Class so this has been replaced. The Birdcage set and the LBSCR Pull-Push set still needed floors adding and a spot of weathering after being used at Exeter. Something else I wanted to do was go through my wagons and sort out some of the weathering on them. A lot of my wagons had had a quick job done on them so they were usable on Herstmonceux and I thought it was about time I gave them a better going over.

There is still plenty more to be done. The D3 is getting a new motor and High Level gearbox plus a pile of new wagons need finishing off. Should be a busy month or so.