With Herstmonceux’s last show of the year done my attention has turned to Tarring Neville again. The main focus at the minute is the building that will cover the point switches. Its being based on a building not far from where I live and is again mainly flint.
The main shell was made up from foam board and the basic flint work done before doing the demo at Uckfield back in October.
The next step was to get the roof on. This meant adding some more foam board for the base and cutting a lot of tile strips from thin card. Each strip was then individually glued on and some ridge tiles made from the same card to finish it off. It takes a while but is well worth the effort.
Before adding all the guttering and other smaller details I decided it would be a good time to get most of the painting done. It looks rather good along side the smaller flint building and I could resist taking a couple of pictures of it on the layout.
Next i’m going to tone down the brick work and roof then start adding the rest of the details. I will then get and finish the stores building that will be opposite it and get them both bedded in.
So over the last few weeks I have managed to get the wire in tube laid and then got all the track fixed in position. For the few straight lengths of track and some of the point work I used PVA glue, while on the curved sections I used super glue. I’d used these methods before on Herstmonceux and it seems to of held ok. Plus more glue with be used for ballasting or where hardstanding areas will be.
Once the track was down the boring job of wiring it up had to be done… Now originally I was only going to put a couple of dead sections in but I have ended up with 7. A loco can now be left in any siding while another does some shunting. The switch panel was made up and set into the side of the layout below the switches for the points.
With the wiring done it was time to do some testing but then I realised that I hadn’t finished the fiddle yard! I had already fitted the table for the traverser so add the three sidings and made the wiring simple. One side is always live while the other gets its power when a pin is put in place to hold the track in position.
A few niggles with the track work were sorted out and everything is running nicely now. While testing I found that shunting the sidings needs some concentration, otherwise its easy to get in a muddle. This should get even harder once buildings are in place!
And talking of buildings, I have made a start on the small flint building. My first test didn’t come out as planned. And since the picture below was taken I have had another go and got much better results. I will post more on how I have done this when I have a bit more to show.
I have finally made a start on track laying. The cork was cut and glued down the other week, then I gave the point work a final test and soldered some wires to the crossing Vee’s ready for wiring to the switches. I’ve decided to use slide switches like I used on Herstmonceux. These will change the polarity of the crossing Vee and via wire in tube change switch blades. 2 birds with 1 stone and its nice and simple.
The next 2 pictures show the track loosely laid out before I started cutting the cork ready for the wire in tube.
Hopefully in the next week or so I will get the wire in tube laid and get the point work fixed in place. After this I’ll work out where to put a few sections so the odd loco can be left in a siding while another does some shunting. Its probably a bit OTT for a small yard that would maybe only have one loco working at any one time but it will add a little more variety.
I have also started working out what some of the buildings will look like and have been doing a bit of local research. One thing I wanted to do was hide the corner of the fiddle yard backscene. For this I have started making a stores building loosely based on the one that was in the yard at Hellingly Station.
The building has a foamboard core which will be clad with South Eastern Finecast corrugated sheet. Hopefully this will look right once finished and help hide the corner. If not I have a couple of other ideas to try out. Another building that I hope to make a start on soon is this.
It was spotted whilst out on a walk and should make for an interesting little stores building. I will probably add the tank on the end too. Trying to replicate the flintwork in 4mm should be interesting! And talking of flintwork, I am hoping to use is this building somewhere. I will change the lower front a little and reinstate its window and garage door. Hopefully I can make it look like a small workshop of some sort.
Yep. That’s right, its got a name! Tarring Neville is a Village between Lewes and Newhaven and sits pretty close to the River Ouse. As you can see it only small and some bending of history is going to be needed. In Saxon times it was a boat building village and other business included fishing and salt production. In more recent years it had a chalk quarry for local plaster manufacturers.
My idea is that the River Ouse followed its original course (highlighted in blue) and my small yard is a spur off the Newhaven and Seaford branch roughly where the red circle is.
I have also managed to get a bit more work done to the baseboard and lighting rig. The lighting rig had caused some head scratching as I wanted it to cover the whole of the layout but not having a backscene down the length of the layout was limiting where I could attach it.
I’ll do a blog post on how I got around this once I have tidied it up a little more but as you can see it works! I’ve fitted a couple of strip lights like what Herstmonceux has and I may look at fitting some LEDs too to give a better coverage of light. Next up is finishing off the last bits of woodwork and then cleaning it up and painting it.