A while back I found an old Mainline 12T BP tank wagon in one of my boxes of bits which I thought could do with a bit of an upgrade. The model dates back to the late 70’s which at the time was a pretty good model but by todays standards its pretty naff.. First to go was the chunky chassis to be replaced with a Cambrian models 10’0″ underframe kit (C105). This needed some headstocks adding and I fitted some Lanarkshire models cast buffers to these.
The tank itself isn’t too bad but I cut off the moulded ladder and walkways and replaced them using a Rtmodels etched detailing kit for the Airfix B tank. The ladder needed shortening a little and the rest is easy enough to fit. Other details were added with bits of wire and microstrip. It was given a coat of black paint and some Cambridge custom transfers added. It might not be 100% accurate but its a lot better than it was.
The other tank is a SE Finecast A.P.O.C oil tank kit which needs finishing. This will be used as a internal user wagon for the cement works and Tarring Neville.
In a month or so Herstmonceux will be at Railex so it’s time for me to start getting it ready. Now some of you might be thinking that it’s a bit early to start preparing for the show but Herstmonceux hasn’t been out since Exeter last July and could do with a bit of a freshen up. A few new trees need making and planting, some of the other vegetation could do with some work and the whole layout could do with a good clean.
I have also been working on some items of stock. The I3 has been on the list of needing fixing for a while. Turns out the motor mount had broken so this was fixed and some tidying up of the weathering. My Std 4mt 2-6-0 had had its motor and gearbox pinched when I built my last K Class so this has been replaced. The Birdcage set and the LBSCR Pull-Push set still needed floors adding and a spot of weathering after being used at Exeter. Something else I wanted to do was go through my wagons and sort out some of the weathering on them. A lot of my wagons had had a quick job done on them so they were usable on Herstmonceux and I thought it was about time I gave them a better going over.
There is still plenty more to be done. The D3 is getting a new motor and High Level gearbox plus a pile of new wagons need finishing off. Should be a busy month or so.
Just a quick note to say Tarring Neville is back out at Brighton MRC’s show this weekend at Patcham Community Centre, Ladies Mile Road, Patcham, BN1 8TA. More info here
In just under 2 weeks Herstmonceux will be heading down to Devon for the Exe Model Railway Society show. Although I have been focused on getting Tarring Neville finished I have also been working on a few new things for Herstmonceux which will hopefully ready for the show.
For a while now my Birdcage set has been 2/3s finished and when run at a couple of shows its pinched the composite coach from the SECR Pull-Push set. I finally got the sets composite built and its currently waiting on some transfers and then the whole set needs weathering.
Something else that has been on the “to do” list is another Pull-Push set. Last year I received a new Cuckoo line book and I mentioned that one picture was very interesting. This picture showed a ex-LBSCR Pull-Push set and a D3 tank at Hailsham. The D3 turned out to be the one that I have modelled..
Being at Hailsham it puts it very close to Herstmonceux and the possibility that it might of turned up on the Ouse valley line… So luckily for me that nice guy Mr Roxey produces a kit of the LBSCR Pull-Push set. This is also just waiting on some transfers and some weathering and I will stick some pictures up when it’s finished.
With these two new sets a new timetable was needed to fit them in so hopefully I’ll get this finished ready for Exeter. Chris has also worked on a rake on mineral wagons to run in the new timetable as a diverted Kent coal train and I have tried to fit in a few more unusual workings that would of been seen in the area.