So before Manchester show a few weeks ago I wanted to get Tarring Neville’s sign finished. I was very lucky to have a good friend surprise me by making a sign for Herstmonceux and so it was decided that Tarring Neville would need one too.
The idea was to make something that looked like it had been mounted on a building but had been found years later looking a bit worse for wear. Fortunately we had just replaced the bargeboards on the house and I kept back a few bits of the old ones that had a lovely pre-weathered look. A rough size was worked out and I glued and pinned three bits together and added some edging. I then scored along the bottom edge and snapped it off to represent some damage.
The lettering was pencilled on but changed my mind after this picture was taken and put YARD OFFICE instead of just office. Once the sign was paint I started to distress it with some sand paper a hammer and a knife. The newly distressed areas were given a wash of dirty brown/black paint to make it look slightly rotten and aged. Some mounting holes were drilled in it with one being opened up a bit more to look like it had been ripped off the wall.
The last thing to be do was make a miniature one and mount it on a building on the layout.
Really enjoyed Manchester show again and was good to chat with so many people. Tarring Neville picked up an award for “Best scratch built model” for the partially demolished building by the loading dock. Was good to see Black Lion Crossing at last and had a good chat with Geoff Kent about his Conflat L’s which I’ve been looking to build a couple of.
Merry Christmas to all the readers of the blog and best wishes for the New Year.
With Herstmonceux packed away after its trip to Brighton show the other week attention is now on getting Tarring Neville ready for its trip North to the Manchester model railway show.
As I said in my last post there are some new items of stock. The wagons in the picture above are a new rake. These are based on various internal user wagons found at Swanscombe cement works. Strangely they have no brakes! They were simple enough to knock up using some Cambrian and Parkside underframes I had knocking about and some bits of plasticard and microstrip etc.
Another rake of wagons I have been working on (although i’ve only finished one) is some RTmodels wooden contractors wagons. These I have modified to be like some that were again at Swanscombe.
I shortened the original dumb buffers and added a buffer beam from some plastic rod and buffers from Lanarkshire Models. Just need to get the others finished.
A new loco has also been added to the fleet in the form of a Hornby Sentinel which has had a bit of work done to it and some weathering.
A while back I found an old Mainline 12T BP tank wagon in one of my boxes of bits which I thought could do with a bit of an upgrade. The model dates back to the late 70’s which at the time was a pretty good model but by todays standards its pretty naff.. First to go was the chunky chassis to be replaced with a Cambrian models 10’0″ underframe kit (C105). This needed some headstocks adding and I fitted some Lanarkshire models cast buffers to these.
The tank itself isn’t too bad but I cut off the moulded ladder and walkways and replaced them using a Rtmodels etched detailing kit for the Airfix B tank. The ladder needed shortening a little and the rest is easy enough to fit. Other details were added with bits of wire and microstrip. It was given a coat of black paint and some Cambridge custom transfers added. It might not be 100% accurate but its a lot better than it was.
The other tank is a SE Finecast A.P.O.C oil tank kit which needs finishing. This will be used as a internal user wagon for the cement works and Tarring Neville.