Usually as a modeller when doing research we tend to look at books, photos and if we’re lucky enough some actual 1:1 scale items up close. While researching things for South Heighton cement works I was reminded of some paintings of another cement works up the Ouse Valley.
Eric Ravilious was an English painter, designer, book illustrator and wood engraver. He was born in London in 1903 and studied at Eastbourne School of Art and the Royal College of Art. His early work is mainly of the countryside in the South East with the odd urban london scene. He later went on to do designs for Wedgwood and became an official war artist during World War II. Unfortunately he was killed in 1942 when the RAF sea rescue plane he was aboard crashed near Iceland.
He used to stay at Furlongs near Lewes and painted lots of local scenes, one of those being the cement works at Rodmell. (Also know as Asham or Beddingham works)
Paintings and modelling are both forms of creative expression and I don’t see why you can’t using paintings as reference material. Paintings may not be as accurate as a photo or scale drawing but they can give you ideas. Its down to these paintings thats some Narrow Gauge will be present on South Heighton and a small 009 layout that I have starting drawing up some plans for.
I’m sure there are a fair few paintings and models based on the same subject matter. Modeller and artist Troels Kirk
has taken things a step further by painting a couple of pictures of his models. Here is the painting
and Here is the model.
Just a quick note to say Tarring Neville is back out at Brighton MRC’s show this weekend at Patcham Community Centre, Ladies Mile Road, Patcham, BN1 8TA. More info here
A milestone has been reached with Tarring Neville as all the buildings are just about finished and I can start thinking about fixing them to the layout. The flint barn has been painted and is just waiting on some details to put inside. I am really pleased how the internal flint wall leading up to the stairs has come out.
I am thinking of making a couple of the buildings removable. 1. To help with cleaning etc and 2. to stop them getting damaged in transport. The other large flint building has already been made removable so that if any of the point switches need attention I can still get to them. This was glued to a thin ply base and some bolts used to hold it in place. With the other buildings I’m going to look at adding some dowels to act as pins that slot into the baseboard.
Well Herstmonceux is now packed away in the shed again after its trip to Devon. Before the show I managed to get both the LBSCR Pull Push set and Birdcage set finished enough to use in the new timetable. Barring a couple of odd coaches still in the “to do” pile I’m rather pleased to have all the coach sets done for the layout.
We had a good time at the show and even picked up the “Pete Lindsay Shield” for best layout voted for by the other exhibitors. The new timetable ran ok but needs a few tweaks in places before the layouts next outing in 2018
Although there was a small disaster just before the show when one of my operators favourite biscuits was out of stock in Aldi. Keeping operators happy is a hard task at the best of times so a plan was hatched to put things right…
So with Exeter out the way my focus is back on Tarring Neville and getting it finished for October. The last building I was working on is nearly finished. I just need to add a couple more small details and then it can be bedded into the layout. (and yes that is a Wampa and Stormtrooper in the background)
The last building I need to make is based on a real building at Tarring Neville. I am only going to make the long large barn and will make a few slight changes to it so it fits the space I have.
And this is where i have got with it so far…
More progress has been made with Tarring Neville. I was going to finish the loading dock area but I decided to crack on with the last of the large buildings. This will sit at the front between the loading dock and the quayside. The building is loosely based on the old Star Brewery in Lewes.
Like other buildings for Tarring Neville I made a basic shell out of foamboard and fixed plasticard over the top. Some etched industrial window frames were fitted and the covered roof walkway added .
Roof tiles are cut from paper in strips and stuck on with PVA. Once this was complete the guttering was added from half round plastic rod. Metal rod was used for the down pipes and are held in place with split pins. For the lead flashing I cut some strips of tissue paper and glued it in place around the small window on the walkway and along the tile edges that meet the walkway cladding.
The building has had a coat of primer and had a base coat of brick paint added. I’m thinking of putting a white wash on the two end walls and leave the side with the windows and doors as plain brick.
I have also made a start on bedding in a few of the buildings and been playing around with a few pictures.