A while ago I had decided that I wanted a BR Mk 1 set for Herstmonceux and that it had to be Blood and Custard livery. Why this livery and not the usual BR Green? Well I like the Blood and Custard livery for starters and I think it looks smart on the Mk 1’s.
Also at the time I only had one other rake of coaches in this livery so it would add a bit of colour and variety to the layout.
To begin with I started looking for set numbers of the 3 coach sets. The set numbers ran from 515 to 574 and were mainly formed BSK- CK-BSK. One small problem with this was the 3 coach sets didn’t arrived till 1957 and I try to keep Herstmonceux pre 1956!! Luckily for me the 4 coach sets arrived from 1952 onwards and were formed BSK-SK-CK-BSK. Information on the Set and Coach numbers can be found here http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt
With a local(ish) set number decided on I sourced the coaches needed. These are all early Bachmann Mk 1’s with the horrible thick roof weld lines and after a bit of reading up on the net I decided to tackle this issue. The thick weld lines were carefully trimmed with a Swann Morton No 17 blade.
Original Roof is at the bottom and the trimmed at the top.
Also added to the coach was a dynamo belt. The idea was picked up off Jim Smith-Wright’s site http://www.p4newstreet.com/improving-the-bachmann-mk1s-part-1-brakes.html. Jim’s used the Masokit etch which also has the brake linkages but I decided to use a bit of scrap etch.
With these bits done all that was left was to add transfers for the new coach numbers, set numbers on the ends and give them a light weathering.
So that’s one more set of coaches just about finished for Herstmonceux and I think effort to trim the weld lines down is well worth it. The basic weathering is done but I still need to add a bit of variation to the roofs plus a bit more on the underframes. I may go back and add the brake linkages at a later date but for now i’m happy with them.