Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Things have slowly been moving along with Tarring Neville though. The larger flint building has been made removable in case any of the point switches need attention and this is now ready to be bedded in. I have also been working on getting another building ready to fit to the layout.
This one has been lurking around in the background for some time. It is loosely base on the stores building from Hellingly Station and is made up of a foamboard shell with South Eastern Finecast corrugated iron plasticard over it. Windows and guttering came from the bits box and the down pipes were knocked up from some metal rod and split pins. When it came to painting I was originally going to paint the whole thing a cream colour but I had slowly gone off this idea and opted for a blue/grey colour instead. First though I put some patches of Gunmetal and Bronze. This was to aid with the weathering of the building later.
Over this I added the blue/grey colour. I’ve tried to add it in fairly thin layers to make the building (hopefully) look fairly tired looking. This is how its looking at the minute. I’m undecided on the colour of the doors but next i’m going to finish the lower brick work.
You might notice a dock/platform has appeared to the left of this picture. This is another thing I have been working on. I was going to put another building at the end of the siding but thought this might make coupling and uncoupling difficult. Having gone through a few ideas I have settled on a loading dock. The picture below shows it in its early stages and I will post more about it soon.
Some time ago I came across some pictures of someone converting a Dapol/Hornby Pug into a (near enough) Manning Wardle H class which turned out to be from a article by Phil Parker. At the time I had a layout in my shed based on somewhere in North Cornwall and it had a quarry. I was going to have a go at the Manning Wardle for use in the quarry but apart from hacking up the donor Pug I didn’t get very far..
Now I have Tarring Neville on the go I thought it might be a good time to finish the Manning Wardle. The idea is the Manning Wardle and a few other small locos will be seen on Tarring Neville from the near by Denton cement works fleet. The fleet was started a while ago with a Howard Planet 0-4-0 Diesel built from a Roxey Mouldings kit.
The article is a step by step and gives you some of the rough measurements. I added a few extra bits of pipework, some lamp irons and found a smokebox door in the useful bits box instead of making my own. This is what it looked like before painting.
Seeing as I’d already painted the Planet green I thought I should do the same with the Manning Wardle. I was going to go for some red lining on the cabside but after having a look through some books I decided to paint the footplate edge, cylinders and coupling rods instead. This is how it looks at the minute.
It still needs another coat of paint then I can add its fleet number and add the last few details. I enjoyed building this one so much I’ve already lined up a second one to do that is slightly different.
Something else that got finished over Christmas was the building from the last post. I fitted its guttering and gave it a bit of a weathering so its now ready for bedding into the layout.
With Herstmonceux’s last show of the year done my attention has turned to Tarring Neville again. The main focus at the minute is the building that will cover the point switches. Its being based on a building not far from where I live and is again mainly flint.
The main shell was made up from foam board and the basic flint work done before doing the demo at Uckfield back in October.
The next step was to get the roof on. This meant adding some more foam board for the base and cutting a lot of tile strips from thin card. Each strip was then individually glued on and some ridge tiles made from the same card to finish it off. It takes a while but is well worth the effort.
Before adding all the guttering and other smaller details I decided it would be a good time to get most of the painting done. It looks rather good along side the smaller flint building and I could resist taking a couple of pictures of it on the layout.
Next i’m going to tone down the brick work and roof then start adding the rest of the details. I will then get and finish the stores building that will be opposite it and get them both bedded in.
Last show of the year done and Herstmonceux is packed away. The nice thing about taking the layout to shows is the different people I meet and get talking to. One gentleman I was chatting with used to help design kits and was telling me about this and the layout he has built. He also modelled the SR and was building a model of Rudgwick station. He asked for my contact details and on Wednesday morning I received a letter from him with pictures of his superb layout. He also included some information on a suitable replacement for my coal lorry in Hersmonceux’s yard.
(picture by Keith Harcourt)
Behind us at the show was Gouttieres, this is a French layout built by Keith, Mark and John of the Uckfield club based on the real station. Gouttieres is a tiny village in the Puy-De-Dome, a part of the region of Auvergne. The layout may be simple but it is really nicely modelled and its presentation it excellent. The Drasine (light auxiliary rail vehicle) pictured above is actually mine. I picked it up a few years ago in Paris and is normally used as a test loco when setting up at shows. On the Sunday it got to have a proper trip out on Gouttieres. Maybe one day I will get around to replacing the chassis on it and bring it a little more up to date. I may even build it a layout to run on!
There are some more pictures of Gouttieres here.
Just a quick one to say that Herstmonceux is out this weekend at Tolworth.